Book Review: Dovey Coe


Dovey Coe by Frances O'Roark Dowell. This is a fantastic book and gripped me from the first sentence. It is rightfully the winner of the Edgar Allen Poe Award. I love the dark feel of the story. The author really sets the scene so well, you can visualise every moment. Dovey Coe is a 12 year-old girl from Indian Creek in the early 1900's, who is accused of killing Parnell Caraway, a wealthy young man who has his eye on Dovey's sister, Caroline. Dovey hated the way Parnell treated her deaf brother and courted her sister, and tried to be all sweet to Dovey. When Dovey is put on trial for his murder, she has to trust a city-slicker lawyer to get her out of her mess, but perhaps no one is asking the right question: who really did murder Parnell?  

I love this book and would recommend it for 10 and up (I read it when I was 12). I'd say its for boys and girls even though the main character is a girl. It contains some violence.  An awesome book.

Comments

Popular Posts